Jaap Blonk is an old classic that I learned about while I was studying poetry in Minneapolis, and he's a perfect weird start to this mix. One of my favorites of his — which I don't think is on a record — is titled, "What the President Will Say and Do!!", named after Madeline Gins' book. There's an excellent discussion of it from the Poetry Foundation's Poem Talk podcast, back in 2008: Hold Your Breath and Gag: A Discussion of Jaap Blonk's "What the President Will Say and Do".
The Notwist is one of those, like, early 2000s bands that I'm like how the fuhhhck did I not know about this. Neon Golden is a great record, and was recognized as such back then. It's 15 years old I guess, but it doesn't show it much. Sounds great hearing it for the first time in 2017. "One With the Freaks" is probably my favorite cut.
This version of "Teenage FBI" just shows how much Ric Ocasek's dumb production goofed up the sound of Guided by Voices. Honestly, the production on almost everything from GBV is terrible, but the aspirational stuff is the worst. The producers they worked with when they were in good studios just... didn't get their aesthetic as far as I'm concerned. Their current era mid-fi digital recordings are worse though. But their lo-fi records? The production there is great. It's shitty in a good way.
I have very mixed feelings about most of the artists I hear on Song Exploder, but the Aimee Mann episode sold me on her new record.
- Flux-de-Bouche – Jaap Blonk
- One With The Freaks – The Notwist
- Teenage FBI – Guided By Voices
- I Will Be Born a Car – Johnny Unicorn
- Soothe Me – Gleemer
- Patient Zero – Aimee Mann
- Late night phone calls – Shabazz Palaces, LAZ
- She's Hearing Voices – Zuli
- SW9 9SL – Four Tet
- Redrum – Special Request
- Can A Man - Original Mix – Bjarki
- ҉.·.·* ́ ̈.·*:・✧๑ඕั ҉ – ⣎⡇ꉺლ༽இ•̛)ྀ◞ ༎ຶ ༽ৣৢ؞ৢ؞ؖ ꉺლ
- The Man from Outer Space – Zadig
- Fimmtudagur 16-2 – Bjarki
- Tongue Chomper – Zuli
- Canal – Citizen Scientist